Park and Visitors Centre
Broadbent Theatre, Wickenby
and Heritage Centre
A Visitors Guide to Caistor
National Nature Reserve, Barton
Fine Old Lincolnshire Churches
Fern Nursery, Binbrook, LN8 6DH
Stone, Caistor, Lincolnshire
Gainsborough Old Hall
Garden House, Saxby, LN8 2DQ
Goltho Gardens, A157 Near Wragby, LN8 5LF
Gunby Hall, nr Spilsby, Lincolnshire PE23 5SS
Farm Nursery and Gardens, Harpswell, DN21 5UU
Park, South Kelsey
Hubbards Hills, Louth
- Historic Newsletter
Medieval Bishops' Palace
Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust
Lincolnshire Wolds Railway,
Lincolnshire History & Archaelogical Society
- Things to do around Caistor
Market Rasen Race Course
Mayflower Wood, South Killingholme
Monksthorpe Chapel, nr Spilsby, Lincolnshire PE23 5PP
Fishing Heritage Centre, Grimsby
Rope Walk, Barton-upon-Humber
Museum (Tel: 01522 879137)
Sibsey Trader Windmill, Sibsey, Boston
Snipedales Nature Reserve
Stockwith Mill, Spilsby, Lincs
Sandtoft, Nr Scunthorpe.
Way, Barton-upon-Humber to Oakham
Cottage, Gunby, Lincoln
School, Barton on Humber
- Sykes Cottages, Walesby, Near Maket Rasen, Lincs
Falconry Park, Near Langworth
Where to Go, Visit Lincolnshire
Links - Please help us
keep the hyperlinks up to date. CONTACT
US if you find a link that does not work.
Caistor is an
attractive Georgian market town with a history dating back
times and is situated in the ancient Kingdom of Lindsey.
It is unique in it's architecture and location and is
regularly described by experts as a 'jewel'. It has 56
Grade II listed
buildings, 2 Grade I Listed buildings, a Scheduled Ancient
Monument, 2 Medieval Fish Ponds and over 160 significant
archaeological finds. In numerical terms, the number of
buildings makes Caistor the most important Conservation
Area in the whole of West
Lindsey. It is ideally situated for residents and business
easy access to
the whole of the North
Lincolnshire area being located on the north
western edge of the
in an Area of Great Landscape Value (AGLV) and adjacent to
area of outstanding natural beauty (AONB), on the
Viking Way just
the A46 between Lincoln and Grimsby at the A46 / A1084 /
A1173 / B1225
Humberside International Airport
is only 7.5 miles away, M180: 9 miles, Port of Immingham:
Grimsby: 13 miles, Scunthorpe: 17 miles, Lincoln: 25
miles, Hull: 26
miles, M18: 35 miles, M62: 42 miles, A1(M): 46 miles, M1:
The original Roman wall can be seen on the southern
boundary of the
Parish Church of St. Peter and
which dates back to saxon times.
The town has 4 excellent schools:
Caistor Yarborough Academy,
of E & Methodist Primary School,
Caistor Grammar School, A
founded in 1631 which is one of the most highly respected
The original town was ravaged by fire in 1681 and the
in the town centre date from that time.
The Sessions House
previously occupied by the WRVS was built in 1662
and was one of the few buildings which survived the fire.
centre consists of a street pattern based on a series of
interconnecting squares; Market Place, Butter Market,
The largest sheep fairs in England were held in Caistor in
60,000 sheep were sold.
An Act of Parliament in 1793 authorised the construction
of the Caistor
Canal for exporting the surplus agricultural produce of
Lincolnshire. The canal ran from the New River Ancholme
in Kelsey Carrs (4 miles south of Brigg) in an easterly
Moortown (3 miles west of Caistor). It is 4 miles long and
has 6 locks.
The canal never reached Caistor but was opened about 1800.
It was not
used after 1855 and was officially abandoned in 1936.
which was to be the route of the canal is now a road which
number of housing developments to the West of the town.
Caistor was for many years the administrative centre for
North Lincolnshire area and was head of a rural district
court district and also a petty sessional division,
instituted in 1890.
All births, deaths and marriages for the Great Grimsby,
Market Rasen Districts were registered here until 1936.
still carries out that function for the Caistor area from
in South Dale.
Caistor Rural District Council had it's offices at 19
before it moved to the purpose built offices in South Dale
remained until local government re-organisation in 1974
when it became
West Lindsey District Council (WLDC) and it's headquarters
Gainsborough, some 27 miles away. The Magistrates Court
the premises at 19 South Street until it's closure in
Lincolnshire County Council have converted the building in
Multi-Use Centre and offices, which opened on 7th October
During the second world war from 1940 - 45, Caistor was an
firstly being used by 264 Squadron flying Defiant
later undertook a training role under the control of the
College at Cranwell. The station was returned to
agricultural use in
1945 but was used again by the RAF between 1959 and 1963
in the role of
a Thor missile base. Today the site is once more used for
The town has a population of 2,700. Market day is Saturday
closing day is Wednesday although many shops do not
this any more.