Caistor Grammar School
was founded in 1631 pursuant to the wills of the following
, Rector of South Kelsey, who in 1630 bequeathed £400 to be vested in land, for
the maintenance of a free grammar school in Caistor, provided the inhabitants
would build a school house; and
, of Buslingthorpe, who in 1627 left £250 to build the school and directed his
executors to purchase lands of the yearly value of £45, and to pay £30 thereof
to the master, and £15 to the usher.
The £400 left by Mr Rawlinson was laid
out in purchasing the rectorial tithes of Bilsby and Asserby, which, with about
five acres of land, produced about £180 per annum.
Pursuant to Hansard's
bequests, an estate of 42A. 1R. 17P. was purchased at Cumberworth, to which
24A. 3R. 30P. of common land was allotted at the enclosure in 1819, and was let
for about £100 per annum.
The school was free for classical and religious
instruction to all boys of Caistor and the neighbouring parishes; but a
small quarterage was charged for English, reading, writing and arithmetic. There
was an Exhibition at Jesus College, Cambridge, for Caistor scholars.
In 1838 it
was thoroughly repaired at the cost of £200, raised by
In 1857 the Lord
Chancellor issued a
for the future management of the school.